Sunday, July 22, 2012

Longest Training Run!

...and 7 Eleven saves the day again!

It has been a LAZY last few days.  We had a cold front move through the area (FINALLY!!), but with that came gray skies and quite a bit of light rain.  

On Friday, Brian and I totally skipped our workout because we tried to get some work done on the house before I leave for San Diego on Tuesday.  No such luck--Home Depot was out of the wood that we needed for the porch, and the drill bit broke while we were trying to install the hood range microwave.  Oh well :-/  Also, the day was kinda gross so we felt very validated for taking the day off training.

On Saturday, I woke up to a light rain that never really ended all day, it just shifted back and forth between rain drops and mist all day.  It took a lot of effort, but I finally pushed myself out the door and drove over to Wilson for a swim.  I did 3500 meters in the pool--the longest swim yet.  (more on this in another post)  AND that was the ONLY thing I did all day.  The rain really kills me!

This morning, I woke up ready to run.  It still took plenty of time to get out the door, but I still got up with every intention of going out on a 2:45 run.  

Typically, when I train for marathons, my longest training run is approximately 22 miles long 3 weeks out from the big day.  When I'm running in normal conditions (not doing 2 other events in hot and sticky weather), I'm able to keep a 7:30/mi pace or better. Therefore, 22miles is about 2 hours and 45 minutes long.  This puts me on par for finishing the marathon around 3:15.  Of course, what I'm training for is NOT just a measly old marathon, it is a marathon after I've already gone 114.4 miles.  Lord knows that no matter how fast I go, my pace will definitely NOT be 7:30min/mile.  So while I'm usually confident that I will be able to push through the final few miles based on my longest run, I have NO IDEA how far I'll still have to run after 2 hours and 45 minutes, or how I'll be able to push through.  

ANYWAY, this run, I was just sick of my typical long run downtown and around the Mall.  I headed up east on Rhode Island instead of west, which took me to all the way out to Maryland.  Somewhere around 4 miles out, I found the Northwest Tributary Trail.  It lead me out all the way to the beautiful Lake Artemesia.  Too bad it took 8 miles to run all the way out there because I'd go out there more often!  There was a 1.35 mile loop around the lilypad covered lake--I did two laps.  It totally made my run!  
As nice as this is, the photo doesn't do it justice!

On the way back, I totally ran out of water.  I was about 5 miles from home and I knew that I wasn't going to make it back without something to drink.  Low and behold a 7 eleven appeared.  Normally, I go in and buy a water bottle.  This time though, I forgot my few "in case" dollars.  Luckily the woman at the counter showed me to the water from the fountain beverages.  I was too far gone to think of that myself.  Sevs saved the day again!  

Now I'm back on the couch (seems to be the theme for the weekend).  The sun has finally popped out, but I'm resting up for tomorrow's LOOONNNNGGGG bike ride and run.  We're doing 100 miles with 70 min run.  I hope my legs don't fall off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment