Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Midnight in Paris

No, we didn't go to Paris.


But we did watch the movie saturday night. A few weeks before my friend Ben passed away, I remember him raving about this movie. He used to loooove to go see movies-- I mean even to the point where he would often go see several in a row, even by himself. This one in particular was right up his alley.

The main character was a writer from Hollywood who desperately wanted to get out of rewriting movies and get into writing novels. He was in Paris with his nagging fiancé on a short trip. I won't give too much of the story up, but he somehow goes back in time to spend the evening with literary and artistic geniuses of the 20s. Of course Ben loved it! Not only was it a cute romance, but it also featured many of his favorite writers!

I actually loved the movie too--although I've never gone, I love everything Parisienne. I'm also a big fan of the whole 20s era for art. Needless to say, I had to rave about the movie too.
It really does look romantic, doesn't it?!


One of the most memorable quotes is when the main character (I never remember movie names, but he was played by Owen Wilson) says, "I wish I could go back in time to Paris in the 1920s on a rainy day.". He said that would be the loveliest time to see Paris.

Of course, yesterday it was raining allll day looooong. Brian and I went for a morning swim, and then I was going to run home because thought it was supposed to stop in the afternoon. At 4:30, when the rain decided to get heavier, I was ready to leave work.

I can't say that it was the best run I've ever had--I don't have a clue how fast I was going--but it was... "lovely.". Not only was dc incredibly green, but more importantly I was relaxed. That hasn't happened in a long time! Its like I woke up this week and said to myself "c'est la vie" (like the French reference?!) and started to just flow with whatever life handed me. So when I was running, I just took it all in. I thought back to the movie, which inevitably made me think of Ben, but instead of getting mad that he was gone like I usually do, I thought of happy memories. I thought of how good life has been to me. I even thought about how annoyed I'd be if I was sitting in my car on the way home in traffic.

No this isn't me, but it does look a lot more
beautiful when you see a picture, right?!

I can't say that DC was at its best in the rain, but what I can say is that if you just accept that it rains sometimes, it can be a lot easier to just relax and push through it. Wow, did I just make a metaphor for life?! That's deep.

Maybe I should've been a writer in the 1920s ;)


Swim: 23,200 meters
Bike: 409 miles
Run: 119 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment